Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Delayed in Detroit

In my last post, I mentioned that I love watching people in the airports. However, I didn't mean that I wanted to spend more time in an airport. However, that is what Josh Mills, Emilee and I are getting to do.

Last nights flight from Little Rock to Detroit was delayed due to the weather, at least that's what the lady at the counter told us. No problem, just get me to Detroit so I can meet up with our group. She smiled and said, "I'm sorry, you'll probably miss your flight." I told her, "I have a group of students waiting for us in Detroit, can you get a message to them." "No, I'm sorry" was her reply. Then Margaret said, "I've bumped you up to 1st Class for your troubles." I'm thinking, this isn't so bad after all. My first time in 1st Class. I'll eat well and be able to stretch out. So I walked away a "happy customer." I called as many students as I could, and then used text. Everybody in the group was at least contacted, that is if they had their cell phones.

We get on our flight an hour late. The pilot comes over the PA and says, "We're sorry for the delay. We had a "mechanical error" and then couldn't find anyone to load the luggage on the plane in Detroit." That didn't sound good at all. He obviously didn't know who he was talking to...a guy that is afraid of heights. However, after a little turbulence we made it safely into Detroit missing our flight by a little over 30 minutes.

NWA was very kind to us in Detroit. An attendant was at the gate directing us in what to do. I meet with a lady at the service counter and tell her our situation. She calmly said, "We'll take care of you." I told this nice lady that the lady in Little Rock told us "that you would bump us up to 1st Class." She never looked up, smiled and said, "We can't do that. Who told you we would do that?" I quickly replied, "Margaret." She said, "Then you need to go find Margaret and see if she is going to pay for you to get into 1st Class." She then said, "You will be staying the night at the Hilton and here are vouchers for dinner and breakfast." I quickly said with a smile on my face, "Oh, Ok, thanks." We had a wonderful meal last night at a "Big Boy" restaurant, stayed in a nice room at the Hilton, and had a pretty good breakfast this morning. Our flight today does not leave until 4:00 p.m., so we will just hang out at the hotel until 1:00.

Over the past month, I have emailed the students instructions on what to do if they were to miss their flight. Of course, they are sitting at the Carronvale House in Scotland and Josh, Emilee and I are sitting in a hotel in Detroit. For those reading this, if you were to ever miss your flight, remain calm, talk to a representative of the airlines, and catch the next plane to your destination. There is really nothing else you can do. God is in control.

No comments: